Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
August 17, 2019, 03:09:08 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  BioBoards going down permanently
Advanced search
Pages 1 2 Go Down
Author
Topic: BioBoards going down permanently  (Read 7180 times)
Reply #15
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Invisigoth, whats with the condescension? Please if you are going to treat those of us left in the community that way, we'll be happy to see you leave.

Reply #16
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
QSW Offline
AME member
Silver Dragon
QSW by Dragarta Posts: 674

*Holds up her...hands in a peace motion*

Hey hey folks, it is OK, really.  Grin. I believe (my memory is not what it used to be but I've had this 'feeling' for quite some time now) that Invisigoth and I have a past history, from waaaaaay back when I was manager of the NWVault. I actually don't care at this point, but it might well be the reason he comes across as aggressive *shrugs*

So feel free to personally believe that Bioware will review all these facts and then decide to put the forums online anyway out of the goodness of their hearts. But please don't act like that is a likely outcome based on the facts of the matter. It is not.

While I'm optimistic, I'm also someone who will try to find a way to make that optimism a reality. You may well be right, business wise, BW/EA have no reason to want to invest time/money in returning those boards to us.

That's why I e-mailed Maximus and asked him if he had any contacts within BW. Perhaps they Do intend to put the boards back up....or maybe there is a way for them to hand the forums/posts/database (without user info) to the Vault to either host themselves, or re-package as a download.
Max is asking a couple of fellows he knows. Maybe nothing will come of it, then again, maybe it will. I'm at least trying to help save the community info that spans 8-9 years.

If you want to be grumpy, or aggressive, or just plain rude, go ahead we don't have to communicate after this. I would, however, much prefer that we got on and quite frankly don't see why we can't. We all have bad days and life is simply too short for anything but sunshine and apples 6/7 days of the week Wink
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:19:52 PM by QSW » Logged

Dragon Disguised as Quality Family Butcher...

Reply #17
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:54:59 AM »
Invisig0th

Invisigoth, whats with the condescension? Please if you are going to treat those of us left in the community that way, we'll be happy to see you leave.
Thanks for bringing up the NWN community. As it happens, I have already contributed more to the NWN community and AME than you ever will. So please don't flatter yourself by pretending to speak for the entire NWN community as a whole. You certainly do not.

More to the point, the various things I have mentioned in this thread are actually relevant to this topic, a topic which is of very deep concern to us all. By contrast, your only "contribution" has been to post a personal insult directed at one of the participants in the discussion. You have literally not said anything about the topic at hand. This is a violation of the AME forum rules. I would strongly suggest that you review those rules before posting here again. If you think that anyone participating in this discussion approves of you resorting to this sort of cheap flame-baiting, I can assure you that you have misread the situation.

If you have any other deep-seated personal feelings about me that you simply cannot resist sharing, then please show some respect for the other users of this forum and send it to me via PM. That sort of nonsense obviously does not belong in this thread, which is here for the purpose of discussing the fate of the Bioware NWN forums.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:59:43 AM by Invisig0th » Logged

Reply #18
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:18 AM »
Invisig0th

That's why I e-mailed Maximus and asked him if he had any contacts within BW. Perhaps they Do intend to put the boards back up....or maybe there is a way for them to hand the forums/posts/database (without user info) to the Vault to either host themselves, or re-package as a download. Max is asking a couple of fellows he knows. Maybe nothing will come of it, then again, maybe it will. I'm at least trying to help save the community info that spans 8-9 years.
Unfortunately, IGN's Neverwinter Vault site really had nothing at all to do with Bioware's legacy Neverwinter Nights forum site (and even less to do with the new social site). As you know, the people running them are acquaintances, but that's about it. So the NWVault staff won't be saving us all from the decisions that Bioware has made here regarding their leagcy forums. They are very nice folks and all, but they simply don't draw that kind of water. I am well aware that you believe that your old personal contacts at NWVault can influence situations like this, but that doesn't actually appear to be the case here.  (I'd be very glad if you prove me wrong here, but I doubt it.)

I can indeed admire someone that chooses to joust with windmills, but please don't expect me (or anyone else) to bet against the windmill.

Fact: Bioware has already been (legally) burnt once here by exposing private customer information to thieves. They will be very lucky if they don't get sued over what happened.  This is why the forums were taken down.

That being the case, we can safely assume that Bioware's  legal department is going to do everything it can to prevent anything which might expose them to additional legal liability in this matter. So "handing the forums/posts/database (without user info) to the Vault" is pretty much the last thing they would ever consider, much less permit. The very real danger of being somehow legally liable a second time is simply too great of a risk. This idea is a non-starter.

There is really only one practical outcome, and you're already looking at it -- no forums, and no reason to believe that that they will be restored in the future. This is the cheapest and safest option, and all of the alternatives are more expensive and legally risky. I know folks don't like hearing bad news like this, but it is what it is.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:57:28 AM by Invisig0th » Logged

Reply #19
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
QSW Offline
AME member
Silver Dragon
QSW by Dragarta Posts: 674

Thanks for bringing up the NWN community. As it happens, I have already contributed more to the NWN community and AME than you ever will. So please don't flatter yourself by pretending to speak for the entire NWN community as a whole. You certainly do not.

Right. My patience is, quite frankly, very thin here, so Ill do what I do best...be blunt.

I think Henesua was in fact gallantly defending me in reaction to your earlier post, which he (and I ) felt was very aggressive, condescending and all together downright rude in my opinion.

Henesua IS a member of the AME and has contributed brilliantly to to the AME, and your statement above concerning contributions smacks of an insecurity/blowing your own horn and ridiculous self-important prophecy.

I'm certainly not going to assume that English is not your first language Inviisg0th, you write it perfectly well to know when your text comes across as bull-headed and insultingly patronising.

This is a public forum where one should be able to communicate without any single individual putting down, sneering or taking cheap shots at another poster. Something you have consistently done in your last 3 posts at the very least. That also is against forum posting rules, as you have so eloquently reminded us all.

I will not indulge in a forum flame war, it's not my style or desire to make other human beings at the other end of the screen feel bad about themselves. I will not however, stand by and allow others to persistently insult others in my presence, it is the most base affliction of online forums.

If I hear any news about the forums, either from the BW rep or Max, I will post here; whatever that news may be. I am asking though that you take the time to review your own posts and try and see it from the recipients point of view...and then try your hardest to communicate with those of us who feel you are rude with a lot more due respect that any human being is entitled to. Being negative/realistic/fatalistic is not necessarily wrong, sneering at others for being otherwise is.

QSW
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:43:28 AM by QSW » Logged

Dragon Disguised as Quality Family Butcher...

Reply #20
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Let's all make an effort to keep it polite and respectful here, folks. Otherwise, the thread will be locked.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:59:52 AM by Andarian » Logged

Reply #21
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Let's all make an effort to keep it polite and respectful here, folks. Otherwise, the thread will be locked.

Agreed.  Everyone please try to be respectful to each other.  We are all here because of a game we love and have passion for.  I understand that passion leads to strong beliefs, but please keep it civil.  Every single one of us have made many contributions and sacrifices for this game and the AME.  Every single one of those contributions and sacrifices are very appreciated considering none of us get paid for this.  It is something we choose to do on our own time and our own dime.  I'm not going to get into who's contributions are more than others because that's not fair to anyone.  In the end, this is just a game and not worth getting upset over. 

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Print  Pages 1 2 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: