Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
November 11, 2019, 02:47:26 PM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Golden Dragon Awards Discussion Forum
| | |-+  2008 GDA Finalists and Winners Discussion Thread
Advanced search
Pages 1 2 Go Down
Author
Topic: 2008 GDA Finalists and Winners Discussion Thread  (Read 16517 times)
Reply #15
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Was Kaedrin's PrC pack considered in the custom content category?  I find it very amusing that a pack that has 1/100th of the content and half broken got in as a finalist whilst Kaedrin's pack is conspicuously absent.

Kaedrin's PRC Pack and Slider's SlimGUI were both submitted in 2007 and thus not eligible for the 2008 GDAs.

When I saw another PRC Pack nominated, I did think to check the eligibility of Kaedrin's to make sure it wasn't being overlooked. If I had found it to be eligible, I would have brought that to the attention of the rest of the AME Team.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:16:37 AM by Andarian » Logged

Reply #16
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »
Kunikos Offline
Dragon Egg

I'm not a fan of how that works.  If they have a new version, I think it should be in consideration.  In many award shows, a series can be nominated in consecutive years because the content is new.

Reply #17
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:48 AM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

I'm not a fan of how that works.  If they have a new version, I think it should be in consideration.  In many award shows, a series can be nominated in consecutive years because the content is new.

The Academy Awards don't, and that's the "paradigm" that the GDA was (loosely) based on.

Just out of curiosity, though: do you have the same criticism of the MOTY awards on the Vault? I ask because I've updated my module series every year since release with significant new content, yet none of that work was ever considered either by the Vault or the AME except in the year of release.

I would certainly like to have a staff of scores of motivated AME members who are willing to evaluate not just each year's work, but all past years' work as well. In practice, though, that's just not feasible. I think that the most we'll ever be able to do is have one or two "special" categories (like a "lifetime achievement" award) that allow past years' works to be considered.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:04:31 AM by Andarian » Logged

Reply #18
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:10:38 AM »
Kunikos Offline
Dragon Egg

Yes, I really dislike all of the Vault awards including hall of fame and MOTY.  My favorite mods are continually overlooked for some really old and terrible ones.

Reply #19
« on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
nicethugbert Offline
Dragon Egg

When people try Salea's stuff, and then they try Kaedrin's, they'll probably think back to Salea's and think of Barry Manilo.  Maybe they'll forget about excellence in the confusion.

Kaedrin adds so much stuff every year that he could run against himself if he split it up.  It's all top notch stuff, on the cutting edge.  He collaborates widely and helps other CC devs get started.  Some even base their code on his.

Unfortunately, he's a bit of an RPer, but, nobody is perfect.

Reply #20
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Well, if any of you think you can help us, please do so.  Application and approval process takes about a week to join us and we do need NWN2 help.  This goes for any/everone. 

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Print  Pages 1 2 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: