Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
April 19, 2019, 08:53:40 PM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Golden Dragon Awards Discussion Forum
| | |-+  Concerning authors requesting not to be included in GD awards
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Concerning authors requesting not to be included in GD awards  (Read 2970 times)
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »
shia luck Offline
Dragon Egg

Hello all Smiley I must admit I have put off registering for this site for a long time as the black and gold layout gives me a blinding headache after about 10 minutes. Now, of course, I've realised once you register you can change the theme and do I feel silly?  Embarrassed Oh well, better late than never etc. Smiley

Anyway, I felt I had to come along when I saw this thread on the Bioware boards. http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=665882&forum=42&sp=45

In it Ben says:

Posted 01/30/09 16:12 (GMT) by Ben WH
 here is an official response from the AME chairman.

1. Currently the only guideline we have on withdrawals is that authors may withdraw work they currently consider beta, for the period of one year. This is to allow them to finalise it to their satisfaction..
2. We're still deliberating whether to let authors withdraw from the awards permanently.

Feel free to drop by our boards and give us your views one way or the other (but please stay civil).

Taking off my AME hat, my personal view is that the awards should consider everyone, because their original reason-to-be was to help players/CC users find the best of <insert category>. By extension, but only secondarily, this is a reward for the authors of such work. I think that's an important point when you consider who AME is trying to serve.

I know that you are deliberating this on the private forums at the moment and I wish you well with that. As Ben seems to be concentrating on the role of AME I thought to add a perspective from a user of NWVault and AME that you may or may not have considered.

I realise AME is to serve the user, be they player or builder depending on the type of CC being discussed. But while giving public recognition to a CC author is secondary to this, I cannot see how forcing an award on someone who wishes to be excluded, for whatever reason, is a positive step.

I mostly felt sad when I saw the thread, for hopefully obvious reasons. But I also felt shocked when I realised that this aspect of it was true. I know a few of you and enough about AME to realise & appreciate the reasons behind the original decision and guideline, and would agree there's an important principle to keep in mind here. But, if this is the result, i.e. that creators & users will be annoyed by AME's decision to impose awards on people who don't want them, then I don't see that as any kind of positive result. If that creator then stops making content, AME will actually have done a great disservice to its users and NWN users everywhere. I wouldn't like to see that happen.

If, as I understand so far, the argument is: serving the NWN users by providing them with the best info possible vs respecting the wishes of authors who don't wish to be included, I think the latter is a far better choice. A small section of the AME site can be used to list those authors who have asked to be excluded so that NWN users realise who they are and why their content is not considered. I think very few authors are ever going to ask to be excluded. The case in hand is clearly a special one.

That's my small opinion. I'd like to be clear that I support the AME and what it does and wish I had time to contribute myself. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. Hopefully one day that will change and until then I wish you all well. Smiley

Shia Smiley

Dance like nobody's looking Smiley

Reply #1
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Thank you Shia.  I appreciate your kind words and sentiment.  My position is no secret.  I do believe if an author wants to opt out of the GDA's that we honor their request.  I can assure you all that I am not alone in this feeling.  We are voting on it and we will inform the public of our results when they are final.  The poll closes on the 5th of February and after it closes, we will post our results and let everyone know where we stand. 

If you have any questions, I urge you to either post in our forums, in this thread, or start a new one if you wish, or PM one of the officers of the AME.  The list is as follows:
  • BenWH - Chairman
  • Andarian - Vice-Chairman
  • SirChet - NWN2 Team Leader & Tybae - NWN1 Team Leader

Please do not be silent.  We want to hear your feedback and value each opinion voiced here.  Do not be shy.  We will answer each and every question with the utmost sincerity.  I would not give my time here if I thought that it would infringe on any matter from this community that I love so much. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:48:14 PM by Tybae » Logged

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #2
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:47:38 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Thanks for posting. The broad range of views exhibited in the community is pretty much mirrored inside the AME (which I view as a strength), so don't fear to express a view here. I have only ever wielded the delete and ban options against spammers or people who are completely abusive.

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: