Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
June 19, 2019, 07:00:10 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Academy for Modding Excellence News
| | |-+  Golden Dragon Interview: Robinson Workshop
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Golden Dragon Interview: Robinson Workshop  (Read 7648 times)
« on: October 31, 2008, 10:23:33 PM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Today we have a new interview, with the winners of the NWN2 Golden Dragon award for Best Tileset, with the awesome Deep Halls. Check out what inspires them

What made you start modding for NWN2?
HELLFIRE:
Modeling for NWN2 was a carry over from Moding for NWN1. I started with a project called cave ruins. From then on, it was love

BARON:
Hellfire made me start.
Seriously thats the answer, Hellfire was modding tilesets in NwN1 and he enlisted my help on one of his projects. We were actually working on the design of a dwarven tileset for nwn1 when nwn2 was announced. It didnt take long before we decided to hold off on adding stuff to nwn1 in lieu of waiting for nwn2. Which we ultimately did. Deep Halls was our first tileset release and was the direct descendant of the tileset we had planned for nwn1.

When we saw the ease with which one could create tilesets for nwn2 it really wasnt a hard decision to continue to produce them.

What new tilesets have you got in the works?
HELLFIRE:
Right now we have several in the pipeline. Dark ruins will be a major release, a large tileset with a mesoamerican theme, it will be packaged with a number of placeables as well and will hopefully be ready to release about the time Storm of Zehir, the new nwn2 expansion releases.

And finally a possible jungle ruins tileset...its in design development right now but we are somewhat undecided if we will continue with it

BARON:

Additionally, I have a pocket caves expansion in the works, essentially the same idea as our pocket castle set, it creates narrow halls and various connector tiles that work with the existing caves tileset, the idea being to expand the usefulness of the caves tileset with smaller tunnels than presently exist.

Pocket ship interiors is still in progress, this is a small ship interior set with relevant placeables

What do you use as the inspiration for your tilesets?
HELLFIRE:
Inspiration usually comes from just tinkering in Max or a see a cool design in a movie or TV show

BARON:
I try to balance fantasy with reality, so in many cases I use the real world environments as inspiration to begin with, but to be honest much of what I do with tilesets is seat of the pants. I do some loose modelling or sketches and layout a plan of attack and let the tileset grow of its own accord. I like spaces with volumn, high ceilings and I think you can see that in much of our work.

What is the RWS design process?
HELLFIRE:
Baron and I usually talk about future projects a bit before we ever see a model. then we do a few models and decide on changes from there.

BARON:
Once we've talked, I usually start in Sketchup and create very basic geometry, then Hellfire and I look at screens I make of those tiles and we determine where detail needs to be added or if the feel is right...Once a direction or feel is achieved I then usually crank out a half dozen tiles in sketchup, import them into max and then Hellfire and I exchange texture ideas. Its very collaborative between HF and I, though we also can run off in seperate directions on occasion. Case in point Hellfire has done some excellent creature conversions from nwn1 that I havent been in the least bit involved with.

What did you think when you first heard about the Golden Dragon Awards?
HELLFIRE:
I thought it was a great Idea and was happy that community members could get recognition beyond the votes on the vault.

BARON:
I thought it was a very good idea that could really input some enthusiasm for the modellers and modders in the community.

Have you ever tried out the other finalists?
HELLFIRE:
Yes I have, and i enjoyed them very much.

BARON:
I've looked at a few of the modules, though I've yet to finish one, I didnt look at any of the other tilesets after they had been nominated since we had looked at them almost as soon as they got released.

Is there any other work going on in the community that really inspires you?
HELLFIRE:
I was very inspired by Arioks creature conversion work. I have currently 6 converted monsters that im working on, but we have other releases scheduled before them that we are working to complete.

BARON:
I am constantly impressed with the quality of area building I see posted in various PW forums, we also get a lot of screenshots from users of our stuff and find their work to be terrific. I also think its easy to be impressed with the work Ree from BouncyRock has done as far as creatures go.

What are you up to currently?
BARON:
Right this instant I am working up placeables for the Pocket ships tileset.

What do you see in the future for RWS
HELLFIRE:
I will be doing more monsters in the future as well as placeables. I also plan to author a few tutorials on nwn2 modding for the community.

BARON:
A lot depends on the success of Storm of Zehir, but I think in the upcoming year RWS will be doing very few tilesets and will be concentrating more on placeables and creatures. We will likely continue to produce the occasional pocket tileset but tilesets in general wont be our primary focus next year I dont think.

Well, good luck guys - we hope you'll be in the running again this year...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:28:35 PM by BenWH » Logged

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #1
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
sirchet Offline
Silver Dragon
Force For Goodness Posts: 528

Thanks Ben, Baron, and Hellfire. An excellent and very informative interview.

Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.

Neverwinter Reviewers Guild

Gaming Parents Studios

Reply #2
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:52:42 AM »
HellfireRWS Offline
Hatchling

Thanks for interviewing us Smiley

Reply #3
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
Alban Offline
Brass Dragon

Who are these RWS guys exactly ? Wink

I think it's safe to mention that you forgot to link to RWS boards which have a lot of cool discussions happening Smiley

Reply #4
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:13:23 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Indeed: http://www.robinsonworkshop.com/

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #5
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:31 PM »
Baron_RWS Offline
Golden Dragon Winner
Dragon Egg

Beats me, but they clearly should be shot........
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:22:16 AM by Tybae » Logged

Reply #6
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Beats me, but they clearly should be shot........

Indeed...  *grabs shotgun and slug bullets*  Wink

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #7
« on: November 05, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »
HellfireRWS Offline
Hatchling

Runs for solid cover!

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: