Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
June 19, 2019, 07:04:07 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Academy for Modding Excellence News
| | |-+  News: Dragon Age revealed!
Advanced search
Pages 1 2 Go Down
Author
Topic: News: Dragon Age revealed!  (Read 16697 times)
Reply #15
« on: October 26, 2008, 12:06:36 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

That sounds about right.

I've posted part 3.

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #16
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »
nereng Offline
Former Members
Pseudo Dragon

Oh, okay! Here's an exclusive question!

Can we create areas???

Oh, forget it!  Cheesy

Heck, no! Unstrike that question. Did you see any evidence of an area editor?

That's a dealbreaker issue for me. If DA has an area editor, then I'll consider building with it when it comes out. Otherwise, I'll really have no use for it.

It's a dealbreaker issue for me as well, of course, but I struck it becasue I know Ben can't answer that question.  Sad

However, reading between the lines and judging from the reactions of those who were there, I surmise that whatever Bioware's solution is, it will be good enough for all of us SP modders.

Hopefully the toolset beta version will be out soon, and then we'll know for sure!

Cheers! Smiley

Reply #17
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »
Maddyanne Offline
Golden Dragon Winner
Cracked Dragon Egg

Oh dear. I have toolset lust something dreadful.

Reply #18
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

*slaps BenWH with a +12 trout of envy*  Wink

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #19
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
sirchet Offline
Silver Dragon
Force For Goodness Posts: 528

The tool-set demo just shows them adding to an existing area. *crosses fingers and hopes for area creation*

Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.

Neverwinter Reviewers Guild

Gaming Parents Studios

Reply #20
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:47:22 PM »
Alban Offline
Brass Dragon

As Sirchet says, the terrain editor is an unheard-of feature in Dragon Age, and it will, how certainly, determine how modder-friendly it will be.

For DLA, it's not too much of a problem, because the team has skilled 3D people. Well, on the other hand, DLA today, who are the members exactly ?

Somehow, it looks to me like DA and Witcher are on the same board, and I must say I find a bit sad it's still an Aurora game we have here, it's a 2002 engine and we're in 2009. For NWN2 it was ok. Today, a bit rustic.

Reply #21
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

For DLA, it's not too much of a problem, because the team has skilled 3D people. Well, on the other hand, DLA today, who are the members exactly ?

That's a good question!

I don't know much about engines, but I'm pretty sure DA is not using the Aurora engine. I think it looks like a completely different game (except the oversized armour parts that seems to be an obsession).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:38:26 AM by BenWH » Logged

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #22
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
assotoda73 Offline
Dragon Egg

Im disappointed that Dragon Age has taken such a backseat.  I was wating for more details and such but now all you just hear about Mass Effect on the Bioware site.  The new game looks good, but we have been wating for a BG3 type game for quite some time.

Reply #23
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:10 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Im disappointed that Dragon Age has taken such a backseat.  I was wating for more details and such but now all you just hear about Mass Effect on the Bioware site.  The new game looks good, but we have been wating for a BG3 type game for quite some time.

Agreed, but that's probably because ME: 2 is coming out before DA: O and the original ME was a huge hit in the gaming world, DA: O is unproven atm, so Bioware is better served by betting on the sure thing than the risky untested one. 

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #24
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »
Invisig0th

Agreed, but that's probably because ME: 2 is coming out before DA: O

Not sure if this is true. Amazon is currently saying that DA:O is scheduled for release on Nov 3 2009 and ME2 is scheduled for release on Jan 26 2010. If those dates are anywhere near accurate,  it looks like DA:O hits the streets long before ME2.

As for the earlier comments about builders jumping ship when DA:O arrives -- don't be so sure.  For people who are mostly content with making modules using the content that comes with the game, you're probably right.

However, for those of us who insist on using a lot of model-based custom content in our modules, DA:O will have the same fundamental problem as NWN2: very very little in the way of model-related custom content that can be achieved by non-modelers.  With NWN1 a non-modeler can fairly easily apprioriate, adjust and reskin using similar existing models.  For example, as a non-modeler, I was able to cobble together a complete githyanki dynamic race using  just Textpad and NWN Armory.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Screenshots.Detail&id=184

Even several years after release, that kind of thing is not remotely possible with NWN2 without the assistance of a pro modeler or a very experienced amatuer modeler. For this reason, NWN1 will still be the tool of choice for many hobbyists for at least the near future.

[Edit -- just realized that the "earlier comments" I mentioned were posted in Oct 2008, not Oct 2009.]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:31:02 AM by Invisig0th » Logged

Reply #25
« on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Not sure if this is true. Amazon is currently saying that DA:O is scheduled for release on Nov 3 2009 and ME2 is scheduled for release on Jan 26 2010. If those dates are anywhere near accurate, it looks like DA:O hits the streets long before ME2.

I haven't been following Mass Effect, but I'm very closely plugged in on the news about Dragon Age. As of now, as far as I know all indications are that it's fully on track for the scheduled release in first week of November.

As for the earlier comments about builders jumping ship when DA:O arrives -- don't be so sure... for those of us who insist on using a lot of model-based custom content in our modules, DA:O will have the same fundamental problem as NWN2: very very little in the way of model-related custom content that can be achieved by non-modelers... Even several years after release, that kind of thing is not remotely possible with NWN2 without the assistance of a pro modeler or a very experienced amatuer modeler. For this reason, NWN1 will still be the tool of choice for many hobbyists for at least the near future.

I strongly agree with Invisig0th here, and it's one of the reasons why I'm still planning to finish Sanctum of the Archmage: The Miracle Worker in Neverwinter Nights 1. It's also the main reason why I was never able to convince myself to make the transition to NWN2. Although my current plan is to build Part III of the saga ("The Alliance") in Dragon Age, that won't happen before a year from now at the earliest. And it'll also depend significantly on whether some important custom content that I will need for the saga, and which is currently available to me in NWN1, will be available for DA by that time. If it's not, then I'll be finishing it in NWN1.

For NWN2, this situation was complicated by the fact that Obsidian chose a proprietary graphics format ("Granny") for their models, and didn't make providing modeling tools for it a high priority. The Exportron didn't come out until about a year after release, only supported 3DSMax, and from what I heard it promptly became obselete with the next release of it. In NWN1, modelers can use GMax and don't have to spend several thousand dollars on a 3D modeling tool to create custom content. And for builders who are looking to create original stories and need original custom content to go with them -- as I do with Sanctum of the Archmage -- that is a very important consideration.

The availability of that custom content for Dragon Age will depend a great deal on how Bioware handles providing the necessary modeling tools to the custom content community. The only things that I can say about that right now are that from everything I've seen, Bioware appears to be very much aware of the importance of this issue, and that they are making a significant effort to provide a broad array of CC tools available to builders. We won't know for sure how that will all play out for a while yet, but I do have some optimism that it will work out better than it did for NWN2.

Print  Pages 1 2 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: