Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
October 15, 2019, 06:27:55 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Academy for Modding Excellence News
| | |-+  Golden Dragon Interview: Hugie
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Golden Dragon Interview: Hugie  (Read 6861 times)
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Today we talk to Hugie, who won his second Best Action module Golden Dragon award, this time for NWN2, with the module Moonshadows. He tells us a bit about how it was inspired, some of the design choices he made, and what's happening to Moonshadows II...

What made you start building modules for NWN2?

A combination of factors, really.  From an amateur standpoint, the move from NWN1 to NWN2 was an obvious one: download rates on NWN1 mods had been falling steadily for some time, and with hardly any “real” NWN2 modules available on the Vault back in late '06-early 2007, I thought I might be able to fill that void with Moonshadows.  My goal for Moonshadows was to make my mark on the NWN2 community early, for two reasons: The first is that I was a relative latecomer to NWN1, and I still regret having missed out on what were arguably the community’s “glory days.”  There was also a little voice in the back of my head reminding me that I didn’t know how long I would be involved in NWN2 – I wanted to make sure I got something (amateur) done relatively early in the game’s lifecycle.

Then, of course, there’s my role at Ossian – with Mysteries of Westgate being developed in NWN2, I hardly had much of a choice but to tag along, right?

Can you tell us a little more about the inspiration for your module?

Inspiration, eh?  I guess that would have to be my handy-dandy Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.  There’s a passage in there about some large, mysterious crystals being sighted high in the Star Mounts -- the rest is history (or, uh, actually, my imagination).  Also a few of the sub-plots in the module (and ALL of the settings) are based on existing Realmslore (for example: Jingleshod and Wulgreth, Laeral and her simulacrum, the Stronghold of the Nine, Earlanni crypts, etc.).

Do you wish you had done anything differently?

To say I’m pleased with how Moonshadows has been received by the community would be an understatement – I’m thrilled that so many people have enjoyed it as much as they have.  That said, feedback has consistently singled out lack of companions and, even more often, lack of roleplaying options as some of the adventure’s shortcomings.  I plead guilty to both of these observations – however, both were also conscious design decisions on my part.  I’ve never been known for companions before, so I figured I’d stick to my guns.   As far as roleplaying goes, I have a feeling that many people were disappointed by lack of diverse dialogue choices, because almost all the module’s sidequests can be resolved in multiple ways.  So the player can actually make a bunch of meaningful decisions…they just may not have as many “meaningless” choices, you could say.  If I were to change anything about the mod at this point, I guess I would add more of those dialogue/roleplaying options, and I would consider adding a well-developed companion.

What's the 'best bit' of your mod for you?

I would have to say the exterior areas.  They’re definitely what I’m proudest of as far as Moonshadows is concerned.  Creating exteriors takes ages longer in NWN2 than in NWN1, and doing so is a very different, infinitely more challenging process than area design was in the game’s predecessor…but by the time I released the mod (after many “start-over’s” and much trial and error with various textures), I was pleased that I had ended up with a world that didn’t hurt one’s eyes to walk through.

What are the key differences between building in NWN1 & NWN2, and which do you prefer?

Well, there’s area design, which I touched on above.  That’s the most significant difference between the Aurora and the Electron: where the Aurora is playing with lego, the Electron is working with clay.  Additionally, the interface is a bit less “pretty” in the Electron than it is in the Aurora – various windows and tabs for editing certain things are a bit on the arcane side.

The sweetest new feature which was introduced in Electron after having been conspicuously absent from Aurora is the ability to pass parameters to template-like scripts in conversations.  Parameter passing means that instead of having hundreds of tiny, nigh-identical scripts for various variables in a module, all variable-checking and setting can be controlled in 3-4 scripts.  It’s awesome.

This is your second Golden Dragon award. Are you tired of them?

Oh, totally.  I’m a notorious award-hater.  What a drag.

Have you ever tried the other finalists in your category?

Apart from the OC and MotB, I haven’t played any NWN2 modules except ENoa4’s Tomoachan, which I enjoyed.  I have no plans of playing any other NWN2 stuff, as free videogame-time outside of the toolset is few and far between.  Ok, that’s a lie, I’m completely addicted to fellow Ossian mate Sir Elric’s NWN1 Persistent World, “City of Melnibone.”  It’s amazing and everyone should come play there with me.  But yeah, no NWN2-playing for me.

What are you up to currently?

I was working on Moonshadows 2 for awhile, but I, er, um, havedroppedtheprojectanddonotplanoncompletingitatthistime.  I’m splitting my time between Ossian and a contracted project I’m doing for novelist Gregory A. Wilson of his upcoming book, “The Third Sign.”  You can track my progress in this endeavor at our shared “The Third Sign Blog” , and can keep a tab on my other various activities at my personal blog.  Greg and I have a “voice” interview with the folks over at NWNPodcast soon, so keep an eye (ear?) out for that.  The Third Sign will be released in June of 2009 (both the book and the NWN2 module adaptation), at which point I intend to turn my attention to Dragon Age.  Oh, and somewhere in there I hope to whip together one more NWN1 module using all the sweet new 1.69 content.

Thanks AME Squad!  You guys rock!  Same time next year, yes?  Yes?  Maybe...?  ...Nooo...back to work.... 

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #1
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:38:34 AM »
sirchet Offline
Silver Dragon
Force For Goodness Posts: 528

Great interview. Thanks "Hugie" for taking the time to fill us commoners in on the workings of such great minds. Grin

Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.

Neverwinter Reviewers Guild

Gaming Parents Studios

Reply #2
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:49:01 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Great interview. Thanks "Hugie" for taking the time to fill us commoners in on the workings of such great minds. Grin

Shhhh!  It goes straight to his head.   

Great interview Hugie!  Congratulations on your GDA.  It is well deserved. 

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #3
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »
Alex Hugon Offline
Golden Dragon Winner
Hatchling

Aww you guys're too much.  Roll Eyes  If you feel like OD'ing on Hugieness, check out the podcast, too.  Wink

Alex "Hugie" Hugon
Writer, Ossian Studios
Moonshadows (NWN2: HoF, Reviewers Award, 2007 Silver Award, 2007 Golden Dragon: Best Action)

Reply #4
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
sirchet Offline
Silver Dragon
Force For Goodness Posts: 528

As if I'd miss it.

Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.

Neverwinter Reviewers Guild

Gaming Parents Studios

Reply #5
« on: August 16, 2008, 04:54:03 AM »
QSW Offline
AME member
Silver Dragon
QSW by Dragarta Posts: 674

Aww you guys're too much.  Roll Eyes  If you feel like OD'ing on Hugieness, check out the podcast, too.  Wink
As if I'd miss it.

ROFL@Hugie! Congratulations Alex, well deserved award Smiley

Dragon Disguised as Quality Family Butcher...

Reply #6
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »
Alex Hugon Offline
Golden Dragon Winner
Hatchling

Haha thanks QSW! Smiley  Hey, you're a PW'er too -- why aren't you on City of Melnibnoe?!!? Wink

Alex "Hugie" Hugon
Writer, Ossian Studios
Moonshadows (NWN2: HoF, Reviewers Award, 2007 Silver Award, 2007 Golden Dragon: Best Action)

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: