Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
October 15, 2019, 05:40:04 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  Academy for Modding Excellence News
| | |-+  Golden Dragon Interview: Fester Pot
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Golden Dragon Interview: Fester Pot  (Read 11109 times)
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Fester Pot was a double Golden Dragon award winner in 2006, taking the Debut Author award for NWN, and winning the Best Adventure module award with Almraiven. I hunted him down to pose a few questions...

What made you start building modules for NWN?

There is a certain freedom in building with Neverwinter Nights that other packages could not offer and it came to be a good time sink with a creative reward in the end as well. It's the ability to make a NPC and have them do as you wish, say as you wish and look as you wish, which makes your imagination run wild. It's what I think drives a lot of builders and as one moves forward in building, one realizes just what an outlet for a story driven module it can become.

Plus, there's a sense of enjoyment from building that did not seem like it was wasting my time. I came to learn a lot about scripting and putting things together one step at a time to create a final product. It's just pure fun and as long as I continued to enjoy it, I continued to build.

Almraiven seems like a pretty complex module. How long did it take you to build?

Two years just about but there was another year before that which I used to learn the toolset, build areas, create minor quests and learn the scripting language, which even today I'm still confused about from time to time. Much of the time that it took to bring Almraiven together also surrounded learning how to modify custom content, how to add it and how to make it work within the module itself.

One would think that once learning this other modules would come at a quicker pace. Using myself as the example, I've found that knowing more means wanting to add more, which only creates bigger ideas than ever before. It would seem that building a module for me is the norm if it takes just a little over two years.

Will you create more modules for NWN? Any news of that sequel?

Shadewood may very well be the last module that I create with the Neverwinter Nights toolset, although I have left it open to myself to decide. I've been building for the last four years, which is a long time when it comes to a game that's only one patch away from being patched offically again.

Perhaps the release of v1.69 will create a wave of interest in the building community, perhaps it'll only be a mad rush to check it all out and then slowly fade away. An active community to me means that there are folks to build modules for and have them enjoy the end result.

If v1.69 cannot provide that to a building community that is slowly fading, then Shadewood will be my last.

As for news, Shadewood is going into private beta sometime this week.

How about NWN2, are you doing anything there?

Perhaps. Building for me in NWN didn't happen until both expansions were made available and certain custom content was there to download. If NWN2 cannot offer the same wide variety as well as expand on existing scripting functions that already exist in NWN, then NWN2 may not be a medium in which to build modules with for me.

What did you think when you first heard about the Golden Dragon Awards?

It's a great way for members of the community to get exposure when they may not otherwise receive such exposure. What a surprise it must be for builders who vanish for awhile, only to come back and see a little banner graphic next to their module. It creates excitement in the community and lets those who put time into the community that they are not so easily tossed aside.

You scooped two Golden Dragons in the 2006 awards against some really tough competition. How did you feel about that?

It's nice to be recognized and I feel it's very important that the Golden Dragon Awards do not forget those who were nominated along with Almraiven. Always make these lists available on your home page because not everyone who plays Almraiven will agree that it should have won such awards.

It takes a lot of work, thought and sometimes, personal punishment to put a module together and although an award is nice, there are many diamonds in the rough that deserve the same attention as those who win these awards.

What about the competition – had a chance to try any of the other nomination modules or authors?

I helped a little on Avertine - A Nation Dreamed, which I enjoyed while beta testing it but as it was during a time that Almraiven was being built, my comments were few, although I did my best to do more bug finding compared to following the plot of the story.

Anything else that you're up to currently you want to mention?

Yeah... sorry for taking so long to do this interview. Ask QSW, Tiberius or even Steve Savicki about the HOF interview and how long that took me to get around to do. I can be very stubborn without even thinking about it and did not mean to offend anyone or think I'm beyond doing interviews. I guess two years after the offer is better than nothing at all.

Well, I think it was only about six months actually, but you're welcome! Thanks for taking the time to answer...

For fun, we also posted a poll on your favourite 2006 Golden Dragon module. See if everyone else agrees with your choice too!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:24:29 AM by BenWH » Logged

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #1
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:25:45 AM »
kookoo Offline
Public Forum Moderator
Brass Dragon
My Brass Dragon has Brass Balls Posts: 146

Excellent interview from a person who is a valuable cornerstone to the community.  Fester Pot is one of the most helpful individuals ever.  There are many things he has advised me on in building as well as so many others.

Almraiven is one of the most impressive modules available as far as custom content and systems go.  There is always something going on.  The story line is fascinating as well as being well written.  those awards were truly well deserved.

"Saving the world is hard, saving yourself is even harder.

496620796f752063616e207265616420746869732c20796f75206172652061206765656b2e

Reply #2
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:33 AM »
BenWH Offline
Inactive Member
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Agree - I thought this was an excellent module. It doesn't surprise me it took so long to build it!

B G P Hughes
NWN and NWN2 works: Click Here

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

Reply #3
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:44 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

I think my favorite part was the mentioning of the other nominees and the recognition that Ol' FP gives them.  That's one thing I love to see in this community, selflessness.  It's welcome and refreshing to hear. 

A great interview from an excellent author and I'm really looking forward to Shadewood.  Congratulations Ol' FP!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:53:28 PM by Tybae » Logged

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #4
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:17:40 PM »
Estelindis Offline
AME member
Bronze Dragon

I really enjoyed this interview.  Thanks to FP for answering the questions with such honesty, grace, and humility.  I also thought the shout-out to the other nominees in the categories where he won were very admirable.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
~~~ C. S. Lewis

Reply #5
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:37:54 AM »
QSW Offline
AME member
Silver Dragon
QSW by Dragarta Posts: 674

A really good interview, and as always Fester is quite refreshing to read Smiley Almraiven is a brilliant module and I loved the maze!

Dragon Disguised as Quality Family Butcher...

Reply #6
« on: July 02, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
Skunkeen Offline
NWNPodcast
Hatchling

Wicked. I always see Fester Pot helping folks with questions on the bioboards a good fella in everyones book! good interview

Reply #7
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
Fester Pot Offline
Golden Dragon Winner
Dragon Egg

Thanks all!

FP!

Reply #8
« on: August 03, 2008, 06:42:43 AM »
sirchet Offline
Silver Dragon
Force For Goodness Posts: 528

Excellent interview, thank you Fester Pot.

Help is good when asked for,
better when needed.

Neverwinter Reviewers Guild

Gaming Parents Studios

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: