Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
June 17, 2019, 04:45:34 PM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Failed to release in 2011, but 2012 is looking good.
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Failed to release in 2011, but 2012 is looking good.  (Read 4256 times)
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

It is with regret that I must admit that I will not release a module this year. I raised people's hopes when due to fast early progress on Goblin Boy that I figured I'd have it out in Summer. Well... due to getting bogged down in that module I shifted gears to a multiplayer module last October/November. The goal was to get that out this year. Unfortunately all I have completed to date is one round of Alpha Testing for that module, and a completed base module for all modules built in my custom setting. Nothing playable.

Here's hoping for a release in 2012. Its very likely as I am prepared for the next round of testing in January. The module is Expedition to Devil's Island and is like a mini-PW that a DM can run or leave up on a server until the main quest is completed.

So Olivier sorry about dropping the ball on Goblin Boy. I know that you were prodding me to finish that one, and yet I left it at 1/3 completion. This other module may not be your cup of tea, but it is nearer to release.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:23:05 PM by Henesua » Logged

Reply #1
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »
PJ156 Offline
AME member
Bronze Dragon

Such things happen, scope creep and real life get in the way.

It always amazes me the amoung of time we/I put into these mods. The toolset time aside count the time you are thinking and planing and writing and all the other background work. It's amazing any get released, but they do.

And then you have to contend with being told your spelling is S**T Smiley

I hope you make next year as well. I may not play since i have moved on from NWN1 but your previous posts made the mod sound good.

Are you a deadline setter or a done when it's done person. i'm a deadline setter myself so I do feel your pain on not doing something that was promised at some other time.

PJ

Reply #2
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:23:28 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Done when its done is my way, but I constantly set deadlines for myself to force myself to get something done.

Scope creep is a big problem for me. I start of with a simple plan, but get too excited with all the great stuff I can include. I'm presently rewriting DMFI and Ambiguous Interactive Dungeons so that they can be integrated. AID will be great for creating some Interactive Fiction style puzzles.

Anyway... back at it.

Reply #3
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:01:30 AM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

I know what you mean, Henesua. I have to make the same regrettable announcement as well: Sanctum 3 is still far from completion, and I wasn't able to finish the v4 rewrite to Chapters 1 & 2 (among other things, to include Project Q) that I'm currently working on. That mostly had to do with a set of life-changes that had to take precedence (moving and a change of job), so hopefully I'll be able to get those out during 2012.

Feature creep is a big part of the delay. The v4 update would have been done months ago if I hadn't decided that it needed a complete rework of the treasure system and lore expansions. For example, I'm now replacing the Drow and Deep Gnomes in Chapter 1 with custom races from the Sanctum novel universe. In Sanctum 3, I'm now working on an elaborate script system for handling plot variables and events. That'll make implementing the module's extensive plots easier and make them less prone to error in the long run, but in the short run it's easy to get bogged down in.

I'm definitely an "it's done when it's done" person, mainly because I have to build in my spare time and often don't have the luxury of forcing a modding schedule on myself. Fortunately, I don't need the discipline of a schedule to make me work on it; I enjoy it so much that motivation to open the toolset is never an issue for me.

Reply #4
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »
PJ156 Offline
AME member
Bronze Dragon

I tend to work to deadlines to help prevent scope creep. it can make it easier to make scope decisions when you have a broad time frame to work within.

I find I can cut out stuff that would otherwise waste time if I set timescales.

Also I want my project finished. I have new ideas waiting in the wings Smiley

PJ

Reply #5
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
SheilaD67 Offline
AME member
Copper Dragon

Henesau, Andarian...I think that we may be able to find it within ourselves to forgive you both.  Ah, provided you don't let it happen again!  *cheeky grin*

I actually had to bow out of three or four projects (ah, one even being one I started) due to RL commitments.  So, I totally and completely understand.  Priorities need to be set; and where you're gonna live and work (along with other things) tend to take precidence over a game.  Even a super fantastic game!

Well...now who would have thought THAT would happen?!?

Reply #6
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

This does not count as a "release" and this isn't Goblin Boy, but it could be a fun experience if anyone wants to try multiplayer with me.

Arnheim: A Night on the Road is an NWN1 Event that I will be DMing in Arnheim on the weekend of March 30th - April 1st. If anyone is interested, let me know. This isn't prescripted multiplayer, but truly is a DM'd edventure. Sometime after the event I'll package it as a downloadable 2-3 hour adventure that can be played with or without DM.

I'll be organizing this via Neverwinter Connections, but wanted to throw this out to people that I know before advertising to everyone and setting a fixed day for the event during the last weekend of March. Character creation will be available on the server during the week before the event.

Reply #7
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
Olivier Leroux Offline
NWN1: Team Leader
Global Moderator
Gold-tinted Silver Dragon

Thanks for the offer, I'd really love to, but I fear I'll be on the road that weekend. And I'm swamped with work this month. Sad

Reply #8
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Olivier, thanks for the interest. I appreciate it.

I'll keep you in mind for the next one.

Reply #9
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

I would, but I will definitely be working that weekend.  Sad  Unless I find my dream job between then and now.  Wink

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #10
« on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Thanks, Tybae. There will be other events. This one is going to be well attended, and so I think we'll have enough momentum to see the project through.

Also since I had more interest than I could accommodate Saturday (7PM PST is the time we settled on), I'll be running something impromptu Sunday morning - 10 AM PST. I doubt that works for either of you, but it is another opportunity, and carries no obligation to play a series of events. Its really just a taste for people that want to see how the Arnheim setting plays.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:25:02 PM by Henesua » Logged

Reply #11
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Thanks for being so flexible.  I really don't know when I'm working until a week beforehand.  I do the schedule at work, but my days off fall where they fall.  I'm pretty sure I'll have either a Saturday or Sunday off the weekend of the 7th.  Let me know when the games are and I'll surely participate.  I'm not usually an MP player, but I'd love to do it with people I know I can trust to keep the game fair.  Smiley

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: