Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
August 17, 2019, 03:21:06 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  pondering on the "flow" of NWN1 (gameplay and modules)
Advanced search
Pages 1 2 3 Go Down
Author
Topic: pondering on the "flow" of NWN1 (gameplay and modules)  (Read 11536 times)
Reply #30
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:15:31 AM »
PJ156 Offline
AME member
Bronze Dragon

It is easier for the devloper I agree.

What you describe is very possible especially if you are providing a sandbox game.

It's harder for the story mod though. What can be done is to allow the player to continue to shop and or pick up incomplete side quest until the signal they want an ending afetr executing an activity.

I've seen that done on a previous mod I think.

PJ

Reply #31
« on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
TimG Offline
AME member
Hatchling

More silver linings: I finished Wyvern Crown of Cormyr and had a pretty good time throughout.  I didn't find the ending to be that bad given that development was cut short.  I bet when it was new it was super ground breaking and I am just guessing that the 1.69 update was built out of Wyvern development rather than the reverse.
So now I find myself wondering how much Wyvern effected community modules when it came out?  I don't believe it can be opened in the toolset so how would a builder see how it was put together?
One thing I did find jarring was the limited ability to get back to spots already visited.  Most NWN allows that flexibility in case something was overlooked and I had grown accustomed to it.

Reply #32
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
SheilaD67 Offline
AME member
Copper Dragon

I enjoy a mod with a good storyline, puzzles, interesting characters, well thought out battles (please, no zombies in the middle of downtown during the daylight) and a chance at romance.  Locked doors and chests are great, but I admit I hate fetch the key quests.  There tends to be a lot of needless running back and forth.  *cheeky grin*

Personally, I'm just thrilled there are still folks out there who continue to mod for NWN (oh!  And let's not forget BG).  It does my heart good to know that the games that really brought a player into the plot are still getting the attention they deserve!

These are for NWN1 (as the title indicates) and I admit, I haven't played any 'new' mods since the beginning of the year (so ah, any suggestions?).  And now I have finally gotten a decent enough computer to play NWN2 (which - I AM LOVING!) so I'll be exploring those mods once I get through the OC and expansions at least once. 

Well...now who would have thought THAT would happen?!?

Reply #33
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

I also finished Wyvern Crown for the first time this year. I think the graphic custom content was what most affected the community. The TNO tileset has greatly influenced much of the cc that has followed its release.

And of course horseback riding was a very big deal too.

As far as module design... that I don't know. Someone else will have to speak to that.

Reply #34
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Tangentially related since it is game design related:

Today I ran across a powerpoint from a talk given at GDC on coding dynamic dialog. Good stuff. The animated shorts are entertaining too.

Reply #35
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:24:56 AM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Today I ran across a powerpoint from a talk given at GDC on coding dynamic dialog. Good stuff. The animated shorts are entertaining too.

Looks interesting -- I'll check it out.

Reply #36
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

I don't remember who it was, but I know someone in the community who was part of Project Q was working on scripting for dynamic areas for NWN, which the developers said wasn't possible.  I heard he made it work too, but never heard if it was ever released.  That would be awesome!

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #37
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Tybae, I don't know if anyone has made dynamic areas work without NWNX, but with NWNX it is definitely possible.

I don't know if you were simply riffing on the idea of dynamic game features, but that link above is a discussion of Valve's work towards creating dynamic dialog in their games. Its an interesting system that uses an extensible rulebook rather than relying on fixed scripts or hard coded behaviors.

Reply #38
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:57:15 AM »
TimG Offline
AME member
Hatchling

Despite all my plans for gaming over the winter I never got much of anything going.  Everyone has different schedules and even free food couldn't gather repeat players together!
That said, my wife and I have managed a few gaming sessions of late and I had one of those rare game moments where everything is just right.  We were playing Accursed Tower (which I am an advocate of) and trying to get to Targos whilst guarding a caravan.  We left the henchmen behind as we just wanted us in the party so the fights were pretty tough and the going was slow and frustrating.  Last night we actually made it into Targos and it felt like we had really arrived in a haven of sorts.  As soon as our characters found shelter at the Wolf's Pelt in I went from being wide awake in real life to super sleepy.  Now that is immersion!

Reply #39
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
PJ156 Offline
AME member
Bronze Dragon

Sounds fun, good to have someone to game with ... not sure I would get my wife to play.

PJ

Print  Pages 1 2 3 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: