Academy for Modding Excellence
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
  Home    Forum    Help    Search    Login    Register  
News : MEMBERS WANTED!

Players & Builders of NWN & NWN2 needed to join the AME panel
June 19, 2019, 07:04:28 AM
+  Academy for Modding Excellence
|-+  Academy of Modding Excellence Public Forums
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Help with Spam
Advanced search
Pages 1 Go Down
Author
Topic: Help with Spam  (Read 3936 times)
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

We need to attack this stuff. Do we have a techie admin?

Reply #1
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Andarian Offline
AME Chairman and Site Admin
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Saw it when I got home and cleared it out. I'm going to have to look into installing some anti-spam features into the forums.

Reply #2
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
Andarian Offline
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

OK, I've done a thorough house-cleaning of the AME's account list. Employing one of the most useful websites around - the Stop Forum Spam site - I was able to identify and ban dozens of dormant spam accounts, and I cleaned out spam from the profiles of a lot of others that had already been banned. I'm going to keep an eye on all new registrants to the forum and immediately and pre-emptively ban any that show up on the SFS list. That should put a dent in this for now.

Reply #3
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:58:07 PM »
jml Offline
Inactive Member
Bronze Dragon

As I sais, you're doing a hell of a job here. We made a really good decision in choosing our chairman... between you and you.  Wink
Well done.

Reply #4
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:08:49 AM »
Henesua Offline
AME member
Brass Dragon

Yes, Andarian, I am impressed. Thanks for putting in the extra effort. When I mentioned Techie Admin, I was thinking there was someone other than you to handle these issues.

I've never used simple machines, so I am not much help in managing this problem. But if you absolutely need help, let me know.

Reply #5
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »
Andarian Offline
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I've updated the forum settings so that new member accounts now require approval from me before activation. Eleven new accounts were created since my "cleaning out" last night, of which nine were known spammers. I rejected those accounts and placed pre-emptive bans on their domains and IP addresses.

Reply #6
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
Tybae Offline
AME Whippinig Boy
Administrator
Platinum Dragon
Devourer of Worlds, Lover of Kittens Posts: 2010

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I've updated the forum settings so that new member accounts now require approval from me before activation. Eleven new accounts were created since my "cleaning out" last night, of which nine were known spammers. I rejected those accounts and placed pre-emptive bans on their domains and IP addresses.

Technically, I can approve them too, so if you're out for a period of time, I can pick up the slack.  I'll be around a bit more often now that I have a job that doesn't suck all the life out of me and I'm back from vacation. 

I live by the motto:  "Safety 3rd"

Reply #7
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »
Andarian Offline
Administrator
Platinum Dragon

Technically, I can approve them too, so if you're out for a period of time, I can pick up the slack.

I didn't mention it on this thread, but I've since had to disable new account registration altogether because the volume of new spam member registrations was getting out of control. Several other SMF forums in the NWN community suffered similar attacks as well, so it wasn't just us. Eventually we'll "lower the shields" to see if the attack has subsided, but for the time being anyone with a legitimate interest in an AME forum account should contact me by email (andarian at ame dash gda dot net).

Reply #8
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:52:46 AM »
QSW Offline
AME member
Silver Dragon
QSW by Dragarta Posts: 674

I disabled the Review Guild  new registrations as well, a few days back. It was getting too silly for words, 60 -70 applications a day  Shocked

Dragon Disguised as Quality Family Butcher...

Print  Pages 1 Go Up
« previous next »
Jump to: